But first, let us first know the different heater systems and how to fix each of their problems.
What Are the Types of Water Heater Systems
There are different types of water heaters. Here are some of the most common heater systems:
Tankless Water Heaters
How to fix it:
- First, check to ensure the unit is properly plugged in and all the connections are tight. Next, check the gas or electric meter to ensure enough power is going to the unit. If both things are in order, the most likely issue is that the unit is not getting enough water flow.
- To fix this, you will need to increase the water flow by turning up the water pressure or by increasing the flow rate of the water coming into the unit. If you have a gas unit, you may also need to increase the gas flow to the unit.
If you still have issues, you may need to contact a professional for further assistance.
Conventional Water Heater with Storage Tank
There are two types of conventional water heaters: electric and gas. Gas models are typically more expensive to operate than electric models, but they also tend to be more efficient.
If you have a storage-tank water heater, the problem could be that the pilot light is out or that the thermostat is set too low.
Other potential issues include a broken dip tube, a problem with the gas valve, or a blocked vent pipe.
How to fix it:
- If you have a gas water heater, you’ll first want to check the pilot light. If it’s out, you can relight it following your owner’s manual instructions. If the pilot light is lit, but the water heater isn’t heating up, the problem could be that the thermostat is too low. Try turning it up a few degrees and see if that solves the problem.
- Check the dip tube. This is a plastic tube that runs from the cold water inlet to the bottom of the tank. If the dip tube is the problem, you’ll need to replace it. You must buy a replacement dip tube from a plumbing supply store.
- Check the gas valve. This is located at the bottom of the water heater. If the gas valve is not working correctly, it could prevent the gas from flowing into the water heater. If the gas valve is the problem, you’ll need to replace it. This is a more complex repair that you’ll probably need to call a plumber.
- The last thing to check is the vent pipe. This pipe runs from the water heater to the outside of the house. If the vent pipe is blocked, it can prevent the water heater from working properly. If the vent pipe is the problem, you’ll need to clear it, but you will need to be careful not to damage the vent pipe.
If the water heater still isn’t working, you’ll need to call a plumber to come and take a look.
If you require water heater repair, there’s no one better to call than Professor Plumb. Whether you have a gas, electric, or tankless water heater, we can help. Let us have your water heater back in working order in no time. Contact us today to get started!